Q. When is the next school board election?
A: School board elections are held every four years. The next general school board elections will be held on October 26, 2022.
Q: Who serves as public school trustees?
A: Public school trustees come from all walks of life. They are retirees, homemakers, professionals, trades people, university students—the list goes on. What these people do have in common, however, is a sincere interest in children and education, and a desire to serve their communities.
Q: I live in one school division, but own property in a neighbouring one. Can I run for school trustee in either of the two divisions?
A: No. The Public Schools Act requires that a candidate be "an actual resident in the school division or district," and that he or she has been so for a period of at least six months at the date of the election.
Q: My school division is divided into three wards. I live in Ward 1. Does that mean that I have to run as a candidate in Ward 1, or can I run in one of the other wards?
A: A candidate does not have to live in the specific ward in which he or she runs, as long as they do reside in the division or district. However, nomination papers must be signed by electors who do live in the ward in which the candidate will be running.
Q: My spouse teaches in the school division in which we live. Can I still run for school trustee?
A: An individual whose spouse works for a school division or district may still be a trustee in that same division or district. There are, however, some matters which come before the board where that trustee would be considered to have a conflict of interest. In those situations (such as salary negotiations), that trustee would not involve themselves in the debate or voting on that specific matter. There are a number of other situations where a trustee could have a potential conflict of interest. Legislation requires that situations such as these be declared when a trustee takes office.
Q: I am a public school teacher. Does that disqualify me from running for school trustee?
A: A teacher or other school division employee may serve as a school trustee. If you work in the same school division or district in which you live, you will be required to take a leave of absence from your job in order to serve.
Q: If I'm elected school trustee, how will I learn about the job? Will I be offered any training?
A: Most school divisions and districts offer orientation sessions for new trustees, to familiarize them with local policies and procedures. As well, resources and training are offered by the Manitoba School Boards Association, shortly after each school trustee election. Together, local and provincial learning opportunities help new trustees better understand their new role, and develop skills they need to be effective board members.