Hand voting

Who is eligible to vote in the trustee by-election?

In order to qualify as a resident voter, a person must be:

  • A Canadian citizen;
  • At least 18 years of age on Election Day; and
  • A resident of the Brandon School Division for at least six months on Election Day (as of April 25, 2023)

For school division elections, you must be a resident of the school division to be eligible to vote. Non-resident property voters may only vote in municipal elections.

Persons with no fixed address may vote in an election. If the person has no ordinary or "fixed" residence in the local authority, they are deemed to reside at the shelter, hostel or other similar institution that most frequently provides lodging, food or other social services.

In the case of ward elections, a voter must vote in the ward where they reside, even if they own property in more than one ward. 

For school division elections, if you own property within the school division boundaries, but don’t reside in the school division, you are not eligible to vote.

IDENTIFICATION WILL BE REQUIRED BEFORE BEING ALLOWED TO VOTE. A person will be required to produce one piece of government issued photo identification (for example - driver’s license) or at least two other documents that provide proof of identity and residence. Electors may vote at the Voting Place which they find most convenient but must vote for the candidates in the ward in which they reside.

See VOTING OPPORTUNITIES for additional information on where to vote.