Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips

November 29, 2021

Brandon, MB – With colder weather upon us, we spend more time indoors, so Brandon Fire & Emergency Services is reminding the public of important safety tips concerning carbon monoxide (CO).   

Often called the Silent Killer, CO is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, diesel, propane, natural gas or wood) burn without enough oxygen.  A faulty appliance, a clogged chimney, inadequate venting, back drafting of flue gas (gas that emanates from combustion plants), or the buildup of engine exhaust in a garage can result in dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. 


  • CO alarms should be installed outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home. 

  • Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for placement and mounting height. 

  • Dual units are available where it is both a smoke alarm and a CO alarm. 



  • Test CO alarms every month; replace them according to manufacturer’s instructions. 

  • If the audible trouble signal sounds, check for low batteries.  If the battery is low, replace it.



  • Immediately move to fresh air outdoors or by an open window or door.   

  • Make sure everyone in the house is accounted for. 

  • Call 911 from a fresh air location and stay there until emergency personnel say it is safe to re-enter the home. 



  • Have fuel-burning heating equipment and chimneys inspected annually by a professional. 

  • When using a fireplace, open the flue for adequate ventilation. 

  • Never use your oven to heat your home.  

  • When warming your vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. 

  • In case of a power outage, a generator should be used in a well-ventilated location outdoors away from windows, door and vent openings. 

  • Be aware that symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to the common flu.