About Brandon

Motor Vehicle Safety


January 5, 2021

Brandon, MB – Now that winter is upon us, our temperatures have dipped well below freezing. This can cause challenges when starting your vehicle on those frosty mornings. Brandon Fire & Emergency Services is reminding the public to take precautions when it comes to vehicle safety.
 

YOUR VEHICLE PRODUCES DEADLY CARBON MONOXIDE

  • Your vehicle produces carbon monoxide which can be extremely harmful and can possibly cause death to people and pets.
  • Remove vehicles from the garage right away after starting. 
  • Never run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor in a garage, even if garage doors are open.
  • Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not blocked with snow, ice or other materials.
  • If your vehicle has an automatic engine starter, check to make sure your vehicle is off if it is in the garage.

 
PLUGGING IN YOUR VEHICLE

  • It is not necessary to plug in your vehicle if you're parking it in a garage.
  • Regularly inspect your extension cords. Don’t allow your cord to dangle or drive over it.
  • Fires can result from frayed extension cords or worn-out block heater plugs.
  • The block heater cord is often located near the bottom of the vehicle near the engine heat and can take a beating in the elements.
  • When not in use, cover the end of the block heater cord with the plastic cap.  Salt and sand on the roads can cause corrosion.